Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter

I had a couple of pen pals in elementary school. I don't remember their names or anything about them. I don't even remember where one of them was from. The only one I can really recall was a girl who attended Raleigh Park, another school in our district, and I met her face-to-face when our classes went to Skateworld together. She was my "buddy" that day. But I suppose I always thought that "pen pals" were a thing of my distant past.

I was wrong.

Most of you know I reactivated my facebook account last month, so that's not much of a shock. And thanks to a case of mistaken identity last Friday morning, I made a new friend via facebook. I won't get into the details of how it all came to pass, but suffice it to say, that at age 26, I have a pen pal. And thanks to the speed of this electronic age, as opposed to the "dark ages" back in elementary school when we used a pen and paper and the post office  (gasp!) delivered letters, the number of messages exchanged has already jumped a good amount. But I'm always one for making new friends, so the whole experience has been a positive one for me ... and for all with whom I have shared this funny and wholly unexpected situation.

And, even better than was the case in elementary school, this poor soul doesn't have to decipher my handwriting. For which I am sure he is grateful.

-Me

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it." -Mark Twain

No comments: