Friday, April 16, 2010

They're Marley and Marley

All right, here I go. I'm following Muppet footsteps and going slightly off the beaten path. The next post is more of an anti-lesson, what we don't want to be like. Which should make these two curmudgeonly old souls happy, because they would probably be horrified to think I would ever lump them with the Muppets. Of whom do I speak? Well, who else but the bane of Fozzie Bear's existence, Statler and Waldorf?

Although entertaining in their own right, thanks to their mocking remarks from the balcony of the Muppet Theater, I think we should try our best not to emulate Statler and Waldorf's philosophy on life as they get older. (oh, for those who never know the difference between the two, waldorf's got the mustache. and a wife named astoria. waldorf astoria! get it?!?!?) These two refuse to find anything good about the Muppets' antics on stage. Their commentary isn't merely restricted to poking fun at Fozzie's act, but extends to all the Muppets. The only time they're silenced or goaded into positive statements is under the threat of physical harm, such as Gonzo crashing a motorcycle into the balcony or Miss Piggy demanding which performers they cheer for (and who wants to go up against miss piggy, really?).


Don't get me wrong. I laugh every time they come on-screen. But do I want to be a cranky old woman just as they are cranky old men? Probably not. I'd like to have a sense of humor, but not at the expense of others. They're not ashamed of being old goats, but goodness, did they have to age so ungracefully? Take this as a lesson, boys and girls. When you get older, don't use your age as an excuse to belittle and heckle others, no matter how funny it is. I'll excuse Statler and Waldorf because they are, indeed, fictional and funny as anything else on the Muppet stage. They don't even let death stop them from teasing Michael Caine in The Muppet Christmas Carol. But don't let's follow that example as we get older and slightly wiser.

-Me

"Would you believe it, Statler? They're heroes! Now they're gonna be obnoxious!" -Waldorf
"So, what else is new? Well, I say all's well that ends well." -Statler
"Oh, it doesn't matter to me, as long as it ends." -Waldorf

1 comment:

Jay said...

I love these guys. I hope I can be a cranky old man someday ... as long as I have a good friend sharing my balcony and keeping it all in good humor :)