So it seems that my friends prefer the year 1998 to the year 1983. Now, I can safely say that there is one advantage that 1998 has over 1983 ... I had been born by then. 1983, you juuuuuust missed out on the glory that is me. But let's do a little more research, now that I'm curious, to compare the two.
- Tokyo Disneyland
- GPS is made available for civilian use, and where would my cousin Kathryn be without it? (well, okay, maybe she's better at directions since last i checked.)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers formed
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day declared a federal holiday
- Crispix debuts
- Flashdance AND Return of the Jedi
- Introduction of the McNugget
- First minivans, and where would Mormons be without them?
- "Billie Jean" on MTV and MJ introduces the Moonwalk
- Disney Channel premieres (before the advent of hannah montana, so it was quality at the time)
- Fraggle Rock, A Team
- A Christmas Story is released, thus providing TNT with a movie to play for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT
No, Richard Pryor was not photo-shopped in; this was seriously the movie poster.
- Winter Olympics in Nagano
- 80-90% of pagers (remember those?) are without service for a day when a communications satellite fails
- Mulan, A Bug's Life, Mask of Zorro
- Lifetime Channel debuts
- Dawson's Creek debuts
- Seinfeld ends
- No more Ginger Spice
- Britney Spears, NSync, and 98°
- "My Heart Will Go On" is on the radio for 24 HOURS STRAIGHT