Thursday, August 27, 2009

Leaving on that Midnight Train to GJ

Miraculously enough, the moving process didn't take nearly as long as I thought it might. Hooray! By the time the guys had moved Elinor (the piano, in case you forgot that i name inanimate objects) into my living room, I had put most everything in its proper place! I had even completed the task of building my bookshelf that I purchased at Target that morning! Apparently the image of me using a hammer and screwdriver is laughable to some people, but let's see how much they laugh if I come at them with my hammer and nails. I may not be much of a construction worker, but when I get the chance to use tools, I feel pretty dang cool. You should see me with a jig saw! Anyway, when I'd put the last thing in its place, I was shocked at how early I was done. It was literally four in the afternoon on Saturday, and I thought to myself, "Now what?" I really don't know how long I expected to be arranging things, but I know I didn't expect to be done less than 24 hours after officially moving in. I guess that's what happens when you don't do anything but get set up. Oh, well.

It's interesting being in a completely different location. When moving around Provo, the largest distance I ever relocated was about eight blocks (oh, college towns). So I still was around the same people, went to the same grocery stores, took the same running routes, etc. Now I have to get used to a new place, even if it is a mere ten miles away from where I was. I learned this when I went running the other evening and had to take an extremely round-about way, because 1) I didn't know where to go and 2) half my "planned" route had to be switched around because the sidewalks kept on ending!

I'm not around my new roommates very much, considering we live two floors apart from each other, and I'm not sure how much any of them are actually home, anyway. However, I have enjoyed getting to know them when we have seen each other. Catherine is also new to the place, so we had a good time making awkward small talk and then bonding over Finding Nemo and hanging up pictures together. I spent an hour talking to Betsey once she got home at the end of the weekend and had a fun time just chatting.

This week has been slightly torturous, but more manageable than I initially thought it would be. And why? Ten-hour works days. Why do I do this to myself? Well, I'll tell you. I love my family. So, in order to have Friday off so I can go see them, I had to work ten hours each day the rest of the week. Once the day is over and I'm at home, it doesn't seem so bad, but while actually experiencing the ten hours, it feels like an excruciatingly long time to be sitting here in front of my computer. Well, the trip to Colorado had better be worth it. (it will be.)

Weddings are pretty standard among my family and friends (no, really? a single, mormon girl living in utah valley?), and this weekend will just add to that joy. Dane and Aimee got married at the beginning of the month in Boston, but they're having the Colorado party this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to getting out to Grand Junction to see everyone. Then my parents and I will drive back to Salt Lake to be at my cousin Eric's wedding! All this within 24 hours! There will be a lot of driving involved, but I think I can handle that.

-Me

"There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll met married again." -Clint Eastwood

1 comment:

the hills said...

beyond jealous... not of the 10 hour work days but of the GJ trip. tell the masses i say hi & wish i was there! smiles*