Monday, September 21, 2009

Drink Up, Me Hearties, Yo-Ho!

I'm not made of money, despite what my parents say. Really. However, my spending habits on Saturday may have proved them right. Well, I didn't go on a shopping spree or anything. I only spent money in one place and on one item. But that particular item was, in fact, an iPod. I've been saying for . . . oh, I don't know . . . two years or so . . . that I would eventually get one. Well, "eventually" came Saturday. I'm already putting it to good use and everything, so I don't think it was an unwise purchase. But jeepers, do those things have to cost so much darn money? So I think any other "frivolous" purchases on my part need to be postponed for a bit. Unless, of course, some really fabulous deal comes my way. But for what, I don't know. I have everything I need, obviously; otherwise I wouldn't be dropping . . . several . . . dollars on an iPod. At least, that's the thought process.

And that is how I celebrated my "International Talk Like a Pirate" Day. You probably all forgot about that day, didn't you? Tsk, tsk. After my posting about it last year, I don't see how you did. That's okay. I was going to do a repeat of last year's activities, but when it came down to it, I was much more in the mood to watch Sword in the Stone, which I had rented the previous day, than Pirates. Sorry, Johnny. My apologies, Orlando. Better luck next year.

The previous Saturday was much more exciting than TLAPD, that's certain. Not only did I throw a fabulous party (and sorry, i'm not really willing to share the pictures . . . none of them turned out very well), I and two of my co-workers placed second in the Project Read Spelling Bee at the Provo City Library! It was a completely last-minute thing for me, considering I'd been against participating from the instant Christina sent the office an email for it, but they needed a replacement, and I was still available. And you know what? I'm a good speller. But that's of normal words. Although we lost by only a single word, I claim no responsibility for us getting as far as we did. I had no problem claiming my share of our prize, though, which was a $45 gift certificate to Carrabbas. Kind of perfect for me, eh? Yeah, I'd say so. I was pretty happy about that.

Adding to the happiness was the gathering together of my pals that night. It wasn't a terribly exciting event, but I think people enjoyed decorating their cupcakes. It was just an all-around good night, seeing people I hadn't talked to in days, weeks, months, even! So thanks go out to those who came, and I hope you enjoyed yourselves! I enjoyed seeing you!

Okay, life is beckoning, and I must return.

-Me

"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." -Woody Allen

No comments: