Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Like to Eat, Eat, Eat Apples and Bananas

One of my frequent laments is that I never get as many comments on this blog as I wish I did. If nobody is reading this, why should I write anything? Now, I know that's unfair to those of you who do read this and just don't post comments, and it's not like I'm going to stop writing. Because really ... I like it too much to stop. However, I am sincerely hoping that this post generates some feedback, because I need some good suggestions, people!

I am making the goal ... once again ... to plan my meals. This is all in an effort to be more healthy, as we all know I don't always succeed at being. Here's the problem: I can only ever come up with about a week's worth of meals when I plan. I am not creative. I love lots of kinds of food, and I'll eat creative meals; I just don't think of them on my own. So I need help! Suggestions, recipes, anything. If you like to eat it, tell me about it! Because I shouldn't be eating pasta and broccoli every night. (or wendy's, for that matter.) I know you're thinking, "What's in it for me?" You will get a special shout-out on this, my blog. How's that for fantastic motivation?!?!?

I've got to eat, people. And I know you are all wonderful eaters, too, so I look forward to your suggestions. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and volleyball.

-Me

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -Mark Twain

5 comments:

Becky said...

Don't you prefer me commenting in person? Because you know I know, but I have a fantastic list on Noah's computer. We actually made thai food tonight and last night we have Spicy Black Bean soup. Corn is now on sale and we have that with hamburgers. Also a big fan of pasta night one night a week. Couscous. We have that Caesar salad of yours. Homemade macaroni and cheese(cheese, bread crumbs,tomato soup, pasta, and evaporated milk, bake it for 20 min. at 325). Oh let's see fish and rice. Roast of any kind. Breakfast for dinner(I personally enjoy Egg McMuffins homemade). Enchiladas. Right, so you can pick my brain anytime. I'm an expert meal planner.

Becky said...

And I'm not fixing my spelling errors, too late and I'm tired.

Emily said...

Well, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. For me it's grilled chicken like every night with your random vegetable (usually just green beans or corn). I have chicken with salsa, chicken fajitas, chicken salad and every once in a while I also eat breakfast burritos. Haha, I'm sure there are more. My friend has this cooking blog http://lulushomecookin.blogspot.com/ I like looking at the recipes Mindy shares because she's on a diet too and gives you the nutritional facts.
When I don't feel like cooking I pull out prepared Smart Ones meals. They're filling and low in calories.
Good luck, I'd like to know what people tell you, as well. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. (you could also check out allrecipes.com they have healthy recipes.)

Cami said...

My family has dubbed this recipe "Taco cake".
-Make taco meat (browned ground beef with taco seasoning according to directions).
-sautee an onion with the ground beef
-Add, a can or two of "mexi corn", found with the regular canned corn ;)
-A can or 2 of black beans
-1 recipe for corn bread.

I make everything in a cast iron skillett, except the corn bread, and then top it with the corn bread. Bake according to the corn bread recipe.(all in the cast iron skillet!)
Top it with sour cream and cheddar cheese!
there are really no specific measurments or ingredients for that matter, but you get the idea...Good luck!

Tara Winchester said...

Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
1 onion chopped
1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas
1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
METHOD
*1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).
2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying
pan.
3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding
vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add
corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has
initially cooked. 4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper.
Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat
for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste. 6 Place beef and
onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that
there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the
potatoes as well.
7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few
minutes if necessary to brown.
Serves four.


*You can also just used instant mashed potatoes!