Friday, June 11, 2010

If I Can Learn to Do It

Discovering something new is always fun. Last weekend I discovered the ridiculous thrill that is Bollywood. After Jay succumbed to his curiosity about North and South last month, I thought it was about time that I did the same for Bollywood movies. So, trusting to Jay's judgment, we watched Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. And what did I discover? I loved it! Well, okay, "love" might be too strong a word. I'm not about to spend all my time trying to convert others to Bollywood movies like I have with, ahem, other movies. But I was thoroughly entertained. Brutally awkward pauses, ten-minute-long musical numbers, drawn-out love stories ... yeah, it was pretty fun.

Really, doesn't this look like a movie you all would love?

Another discovery made the following day. More like a re-discovery, actually: I really enjoy being a hostess. I invited several people over for dinner, and while I don't know if they all had a really great time, I enjoyed myself. I like making the plans and preparing the food (especially our southwest chicken soup recipe that i adore) and getting people together. People are good. I like people. I'm hosting again tonight for a movie night, and I'm pretty excited to watch Seven Brides, as are several of the people who are coming over to watch it. Go figure.

 Gotta love men who sing and dance. And fight.

A third discovery of the week: I'm not as terrible at the organ as I thought I was going to be! After playing last month in the Tabernacle and observing my talented family (and really talented bro. christianson) play, I determined that I was going to play the organ better. Sure, I've faked it in sacrament meetings and such, but I never played it the way I wished I could. "And what way was that, Megan?" you ask, as well you may. That way was ... WITH PEDALS. So on Tuesday night after helping out with ward building clean-up and Wednesday before ward volleyball, I snuck into the chapel for an hour and practiced using the pedals! I was expecting to be so frustrated with my lack of skill that I would probably pound on the great manual like I do on the piano keyboard when dusting. But I wasn't frustrated! Sure, I was messing up, but I was better than I initially expected! What a wonderful discovery!

What will I discover next week, I wonder?

-Me

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." -Douglas Adams

1 comment:

Nathanael Davenport said...

Like I said before, right proud... you'll be useful to society yet! :-) You're the embodiment of Wayne Gretzky's axiom "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." Here's to following your dreams!