Thursday, July 7, 2011

Coming to America

An unexpected blessing occured at work last week: we got a four-day weekend for the 4th of July! Wow! There's kind of a floater holiday that the company puts in random places, and this year it was last weekend. Made for an interesting time of it, though, as I scrambled to figure out something to do with my extra day while my hubby was still at work. But all in all, a good weekend.

I went up to SLC to visit Esther and Asher on my extra day off, and it was fun to spend some time with my gal pal. I came back to a very warm home, but the a/c problem that started up the day before was resolved, and my sweet hubby took me out for Thai food and a cheap movie for a nice date night (and to take advantage of free a/c in other locations).

 Our tattoos at "Freedom Days"

We hit the Freedom Festival on Saturday, which was crowded and hot, but pretty fun. We had fortunate timing and were able to hear a bagpipe group at the Colonial Days area, which Glen really enjoyed. (okay, i did, too, but his glee was manifest more clearly.) We got out of there before I melted completely, though, and got to relax and eat a bit before walking over to his grandparents' place, which is just behind LaVell Edwards Stadium. So after spending some good time chatting with family members I hadn't met yet, we had prime seats for watching the Stadium of Fire fireworks. Gotta love 'em. (although i hope i don't hear that song any more this year. no offense, katy perry.)



On Monday, after a morning of chores and a gift-card trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, we picked up Glen's sister and mom and headed to Springville for a Layton family afternoon. His grandparents are celebrating their 60th anniversary this year (wow!!!) and so this weekend was the "reunion/celebration", which was fun. Naturally, there was good food (including our lil' smokies .... scrumptious), and I had a good time getting to know more of Glen's family and trying to remember who was who. Glen was excited to bring his balloons to make balloon animals for his cousins, who were excited to get them (and pop them).

 The "60" for Glen's g-parents


 Glen's nieces sure enjoy their balloon animals

Happy birthday, America! I'm sure glad you're where I live.

-Me


"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." -King Edward VIII

No comments: