Monday, May 5, 2008

Oh, Auntie Em, There's No Place Like Portland!

They say that there's no place like home. That is especially true if you're from a home like Portland, Oregon. There really is no other place like it in the world. And that is a reason why I love it. It's insane, and it's weird, and most of the things people engage in there I would never do in my right mind, but Portland marches to its own beat and is exceptionally unique. If you want further proof of how strange a place Portland is, just read this little nugget from an Associated Press article entitled, "The chi of Portland: High weirdness in Nirvana":

"Acupuncture is not just for people. It's also for cities--if the city is Portland.

"Adam Kuby has stuck a 23-foot needle into the ground down by the Willamette River and hopes to plant more, choosing locations where he figures the city's 'chi,' or vital energy, needs some help.

"Unusual? You bet. Unusual for Portland? Not really."

Follow this link to read the entire article. Believe me, it's completely worth a perusal, especially if you're from Oregon. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=3232705

Really, where else on the earth would someone think of acupuncture for a city? It's a crazy place. Half the time, I don't know what to think of it. And again, I am far too conservative personally to ever participate in a lot of, if not most, events that are Portland-esque, but you can't help but glory in its individuality, personality, and sheer weirdness. I love the diversity of Portland, and I love its ability to throw caution to the wind and yet still be "one of the nation's more livable cities, listed among the best places to have a baby, grow old, go for a walk, ride a bike, take a jog, breathe clean air, own a dog, take public transportation, start a business (green or otherwise), go out for dinner or not get mugged."

So call me biased, call me weird, but I don't really care. You may go bug-eyed when you see the bumper stickers that read, "Keep Portland Weird", but I just smile, shrug, and say, "Hey, that's Portland. That's home. Isn't it great?"

With affection and alliteration (and a little bit of oddity), Megan.

No comments: