Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing

I am happy. In the words of Mr. Fred Rogers, "It's such a good feeling to know you're alive. It's such a happy feeling." I like having this feeling. I've pretty much been in generally good moods lately, but I have some reasons at this moment to smile. Mainly because endorphins are being released. Tonight Esther and I went to learn salsa dancing with some people in our ward. I've gone salsa dancing before, long ago, with my friend David, but I haven't done it since (and I was 19 . . . it's been awhile). But some girls in the ward are teaching others and we're going to all go dancing together once we don't look embarrassing. It was totally fun, especially since I actually got to dance with a guy taller than me a couple times. (and the teacher was telling me that i was learning really well . . . a little boost to my pride) Dancing is totally fun! I should do it more often. Last night, I was making cookies, but I put on Esther's ipod, and was totally rocking out to Kenny Loggins ("Footloose" made me spill flour all over the floor), Michael Jackson (i've finally learned how to moonwalk! wow, it's a dancing fever!), and Trans-Siberian Orchestra (their rendition of the opening of "The Marriage of Figaro" is quite brisk), among others. It was a fun way to spend my time in the kitchen.

I also went bowling on Friday night. Yet another activity that I have not done in quite awhile. And, well, let's just say I'm not as naturally adept at picking up bowling as I seem to be at salsa. However, Esther and I were equally bad. In both games we played, our scores were exactly the same! It was amazing to see how we both improved the same amount from the first to the second game. We both managed to get a couple strikes in, and Esther only fell down once. (it was perfection; she says it felt like slow-motion)

I'm excited for the next week to pass, because next weekend all the family will be together for my cousin Brett's wedding in Salt Lake! That'll be a good weekend, as long as nobody razzes me about my continued single-dom, as has seemed to be the pattern with the last couple of weddings we've had in the family. We shall see. (probably EVERYONE will bring it up now that i've commented about it here)

"There is nothing more notable about Socrates than that he found time, when he was an old man, to learn music and dancing, and thought it time well spent." -Michel de Montaigne

-Me

No comments: