Monday, November 3, 2008

Saw a Monster in the Mirror When I Woke Up Today

I'm pretty certain that the last of the warm-ish weather is totally gone. Last week, the highs were ranging in the mid- to upper-sixties, and it was just lovely. Alas, those days are no more. I do like winter and everything, but I'm not sure how ready I am for cold weather. Mainly because I have absolutely no desire to get out of bed when it's twenty degrees warmer inside the cocoon I create with my blankets. Call me lazy, but I'd like to just hibernate for the next four or five months. Considering my bed has been one of my favorite places to be in the last couple of weeks, it's not entirely surprising of me to say so.


Beware she of the evil eye, and he of the fake black belt.

Now, I would like to be progressive and NOT write about Halloween, because I'm sure many people are writing/have written about it, but since I won a costume contest, I'm going to toot my own horn and tell everyone: I won a costume contest! I was pretty excited about it, however pithy my "prize" was; a cheap little plastic "medal" that read "Spook-tacular" (clever). But Halloween was a pretty cool event at the office on Friday. Most everybody dressed up, we had a pumpkin carving contest (which, naturally, the Pink Fluffy Kittens completely whooped the other teams' tails, metaphorically speaking), and for the last hour and a half, we had trick-or-treaters come around the cubicles. They were mainly the children of those who work there, but they were all totally cute, even when that wasn't the point of their costumes. It really makes me wonder why little children have to be so darn cute. And after much pondering, I decided that we have to have some motivation to go through the agonies of childbirth, etc. Anyway, I had fun handing out the candy to them, and by the end of the day, I wasn't trying anymore to (unsuccessfully) hide myself from onlookers, like I had in the morning. I was quite proud to be a witch. Thanks go out to Esther, who did my make-up and hair that morning, which I'm sure helped in the effort to "go forth and win". (wait . . . that's not how that saying goes, is it?)


A full-length shot of me and Sylvia, the true victims of the Pilgrims and Puritans.
(Think about it.)
I'm convinced it was the socks that really won, not me.

Today I am grateful that Becky didn't have to go to the hospital. We had a bit of a scare when she called in tears to ask me and come pick her up on State St. (which, at 5:30, is a slightly busy thoroughfare). She had fallen off her bike, so Esther and I commenced a search for her immediately. We found her and brought her home, where we and Noah prostrated ourselves before her feet to make her comfortable. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it is curious how much kinder we are to people when they are hurt. I even made the "ultimate sacrifice" and offered her my Reese's Puffs cereal, which amused Esther greatly. Maybe I should take a tumble myself. -pondering the idea and discarding it, because megan prefers not to bleed- But she'll be all right, for which we are all thankful. (and how appropriate that i am thankful in november; has to be more than coincidence, right?)


And the winning entry from the PFK's (it's a cat, in case you can't tell)

"Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings." -Ed Gardner

-Me

No comments: