Friday, August 27, 2010

Don't Drink the Water

Remember how you learn something new every day? Well, last Friday I officially learned how to throw a football. Twenty-six years and I never really knew how to do it. Naturally, I was simply excellent from the instant I began (ha!), but hey, practice is important. And it got me out of the ongoing show of how terrible I still am at tossing a frisbee. So thanks go out to Danny for teaching me and even going so far as to compliment me whenever I miraculously threw a decent spiral. And thanks go out to the friends who came to my park party Friday night. It was a lovely night, and I enjoyed seeing who came and played.

Saturday I learned the rate of speed at which I fill water balloons. I went up to Kelly's to help out with Jake's 9th (!) birthday party, and we filled up 200 water balloons in an hour. We spent the following two hours trying to keep the boys entertained and happy while playing the various water-based games. I got soaked in the process as I was the lucky one holding the target that the boys shot at with their water guns (i'm convinced that a couple of boys thought my face, not the dartboard, was the target) and then during their all-out water war (once the organized games were over), I dragged Jake out into the middle of the backyard so everybody could get him. Okay, yes, I knew the risk that I would get attacked, too, as I held him in place, but I chose to take that risk for the fun of it. Not being used to running around with a bunch of boys for a couple of hours in the sun, I was exhausted by the time I reached home that evening.

On a slightly more serious note, I'd just like to give a shout-out to my wonderful friends who do a lot more for me than I probably deserve. It's been an interesting month or so, and I'm grateful to all of you for putting up with me as I've talked (and occasionally cried) through some difficult issues. At the risk of publicly embarrassing some of my pals, here's a small list, and you all know how you've been there for me: Jay, Lisa, Glen, Sylvia ... Maybe some day I'll return the favor.

-Me

"Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody." -Mark Twain

No comments: