Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sweet Home Oregon-a

Let's play catch-up!

Last month, Glen and I headed up to Oregon, yay! My mom had what she termed a "hare-brained scheme" and pitched the idea to me of us taking my oldest niece and nephew with us, an idea that I took some time to say yes to, but I said yes nevertheless, and we had some company on our drive up and throughout the week. Actually, it was another family-filled week in Oregon, anyway, because my cousin Steve got married (hooray!), and a Kelly wedding always means LOTS of Kellys!

Highlights of the trip were:

1. The beach. We went there for the first couple of days we were around, and despite Mom's horror at the fact that it was so windy, it was a nice get-away. We made a stop in Newport and ate at the original Mo's (where glen fell in love with clam strips), walked around the waterfront shops, and stopped at a public pier to watch some locals crabbing (but not at each other, bahahahaha!!!) . The rest of the time was spent in Lincoln City, chilling out and tracking sand in the house.



2. The wedding. I was pretty excited to be in attendance at a wedding at which I was not the bride, and we had a good time with the fam. Glen had his first introduction to Kelly Brown ice cream (verdict: he preferred the dark! do i know how to pick 'em?) at Tom and Tracy's, I finally got to meet Graham, my newest nephew, who was so chill that I had a hard time relinquishing my hold on him, and the locale of Steve and Christine's reception was absolutely GORGEOUS! Out in farm/vineyard territory, and while I had a blast at my own wedding reception, I did envy them the view. (so did dad.) Congrats, you two!

3. Elephant ears at the Oregon zoo. I hadn't been to the zoo in MANY years, so I was all for making the trek there, and fortunately Glen was game. And the instant I spotted the elephant ear stand, my day was made. Of course, we went to the zoo while several of the animals were napping -- story of my life --, but it was a good walk, and we enjoyed seeing the animals that did appear.





4. Rose garden. It's a law written on my heart for me to make a stop there, and when I took Glen there last year, the weather had been so unaccommodating that the roses weren't out yet (in june!). So I needed to make up for it. This year came through. So beautiful. I love that place.






5. Seeing Kate. Because of family being around, the beach, and the wedding, I really had a lot less time than I initially thought we would to just hang out and meet up with any of my Oregon pals, but at least I saw one of them while I was there.

6. Swimming at the Silliman's. Some friends of my folks were gracious enough to allow us the use of their pool on our last afternoon, and it was just fun. The Swensons showed up, too, so we had a good time watching/participating in (megan watched, glen participated) the little competitions that sprang up once they arrived.

7. Every single person asking me how I was feeling. I made the big general facebook announcement about our little bundle of joy just a couple days before we left for Oregon, and I'm pretty certain every relative asked me how I was feeling. Dad joked that I should put my answers on a nametag: "Hello, my name is Megan, I am pregnant, and I've actually been feeling very good." But these are all people I love, and I didn't mind telling each and every one of them that I've had a pretty decent-feeling pregnancy . . . so far.

(In fact, I think the baby really enjoyed Oregon. I was feeling great the entire time we were there, and the first week we were back in Utah, I felt sick. I feel your pain, baby. Really.)

Oh, Oregon. I love you. And I miss you already.

-Me

"Home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest." -Captain Hammer

No comments: