Friday, August 30, 2013

Step by Step

It's amazing the things that now make me feel like I've accomplished something really spectacular since Isaac came along. For example: today I clipped his fingernails without clipping his skin. Ever since the very first time we clipped his nails and subsequently his left thumb, I've been paranoid that I'm going to do it again. (seriously. felt like the worst mother in the world that moment.) But today was a rousing success. (all right, "rousing" may be an exaggeration, but at least he doesn't have talons anymore.) For some reason he found it hilarious every time I blew on the clippers to get the clipped nails out. There's no accounting for taste.

 Gotta love camera timing. This makes me crack up.

 When Glen still had the beard. He shaved it off a couple weeks ago.

I've also been attempting to get him to put himself to sleep for the past couple weeks. And it's been working! (for the most part.) And suddenly my child who never took a nap longer than half an hour is taking decent-length naps! It's wonderful!!!!!!!! He doesn't put himself to sleep at bedtime very well, but I kind of blame that on his west-facing window and the fact that it's brighter in his room at bedtime than at any other time of day. It makes me eager for winter. Although it's pretty funny to see the positions he gets himself into when he's just happily hanging out in his crib. Seriously, whenever he learns to crawl, he's going to have a ball.


A couple of the random positions I've found him in during naptime.

It's so nice that he's sitting so well, because working and just watching him be on his back so much just made me feel guilty, even with taking breaks to do tummy time and other playing activities. Now I can prop him up and he plays with his rings and other toys around him for a bit before he gets noisy and wonders why I'm not paying attention to him as I edit.

We've only barely started putting him in shoes, and boy, is he fascinated by them.

We're both pretty glad at the end of the day when Glen comes home. Me, because I'm eager to hand him off to someone else, and Isaac because Glen plays a lot more with him than I do. Mommy's the boring one who's either working or making dinner in front of him. What a riveting time he must have with me.

-Me

"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't, either." -Dick Cavett

No comments: