Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thanks - Day Broj Dvanaest

Today I am thankful for . . .

Electricity.

I had to draaaaag myself out of bed this morning to go to stake choir practice, and before I left, I put a load of laundry in the washing machine. I had turned on the lights to use the bathroom and see my shoes in the bedroom closet. When I got back, I switched the laundry, now using both the washing machine and the dryer, Glen and I made waffles and bacon for breakfast, then we both used the computer for various reasons.

Would we have been able to do any of this without electricity? Well, yes, but . . . Not too long ago, you could still do all these things (except for the computer part, really), but it took a heck of a lot longer. Now laundry can be done in a couple of hours instead of taking all day (and you don't even have to hope the weather's decent so you can hang your clothes out to dry). Irons of all kinds are self-heating, rather than placing (and replacing once they got cold) them on a wooden/coal stove. Light bulbs exist so that we don't have to stumble around with oil lamps, candles, or in the dark.

And that's just what I've used so far today.

-Me

"All power corrupts, but we need the electricity." -Unknown

No comments: