Monday, November 7, 2011

Thanks - Day Nummer Syv

What am I grateful for today?

Books.

It might very possibly be an understatement to say I love to read. I'll let those around me be the judges . . . past roommates, family, friends, husband . . . what say you?

It's not necessarily that I "get lost" in the world of the books I'm reading; I think I can get back to reality pretty quickly. But when I begin to read a book I enjoy, I am voracious. I will put it down if I have to, but there must be a really VERY good reason for it . . . like dinner.

I find it fascinating when an author manages to capture a detail, a spoken sentence, a turn of phrase so perfectly that I completely understand what they mean. I love how books can make you laugh out loud, make you cry, and make you learn. When I was younger, I remember using words and phrases in my journal entries that I'd read in books. They make 10-year-old Me sound kind of stilted, because I'm absolutely certain I didn't use them in my spoken communication. Even now, I hearken back to books to describe something better than I could ever do on my own. What an influence they can have on us. At least, they have had an influence on me, who finds it hard to put down a book when I have a "mere" 100 pages to go.

I need to visit the library.

-Me

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

1 comment:

Megan's Husband said...

Yes, you *do* love to read.